Sunday, July 14, 2013

Fangirl - Rainbow Rowell


Cather lives her life in the world of the Mages. In her head, Simon Snow and Tyrannus Basilton are in love, and she's written fanfics involving their love stories a hundred different ways, her most recent story becoming a huge fan favorite.

The Simon Snow fandom is eerily similar to the Harry Potter fandom - with which, I must admit, I am more than familiar - and Cath is a character I can easily relate to. She's introverted, doesn't much care for change, has a complex about taking care of people (but that's never really touched on), and she LOVES her slash fanfiction. I don't even want to get into what that is. If you don't know, perhaps this book isn't for you. There's a lot of insider language dealing with fanfiction and the fandom scene.

A completely dorky read, but since I'm a nerd and a dork and a geek and whatever else, I really enjoyed it. It was sweet and touching at times, and also frustrating at others. I think the most frustrating part though, was looking back at 19 year old me. Granted, it also made me feel accomplished for having gotten my undergrad. Yay! I survived the drama!

Anyway, it's a niche read, definitely aimed at a particular audience. It could be read by those unfamiliar with fanfiction, but I think coming from that angle would not allow sympathy for the main character.

This book is good for grades 9-12 and up. It comes out in September 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment