Monday, July 8, 2013

Books I read when I was 10

This has been bugging me all night, and it's keeping me awake, so I felt I should write about it. What are 10-11-12 year olds reading these days? Most of the stuff I read is probably more appropriate for older teens, or on the opposite spectrum, picture books (The Day the Crayons Quit was particularly adorable).  I have a hard time gauging what is appropriate for that age group, mainly because what I read when I was 10-11-12 probably wasn't considered "age appropriate" for me. Then again, I was in advanced English classes from 3rd grade to graduation, and even in college I tested out of a couple English courses.

Animal Farm was a book I read in 5th grade. This is a book that is taught in upper level high school and in college political science and history courses. It's not really a book for 10 year olds. Granted 1984 would have been a worse choice, since the most gruesome thing to occur in Animal Farm is Boxer being sold for glue. But it's a very complicated book.

Number the Stars was part of the standard curriculum. Maybe I should read it again.

Amistad came out in theaters the same time I was reading the book. The movie was rated R. I went to see it with my mom.

The Borrowers also came out in theaters around the same time as Amistad and I was reading that book too. Another lighter book, more appropriate for 10 year olds.

I have a difficult time discerning what a kid will want to read and what the parent deems appropriate. At what point does classic violence (Animal Farm, Lord of the Flies, Nazis in Anne Frank and Number the Stars) seem better than modern violence (The Hunger Games, The Scorpio Races, Inhuman)? Is the difference measured in how the classics depicted strong metaphor to the times? Couldn't that be said about today's literature as well? Dystopic novels/series are all the rage right now. 20 years ago visions of the future included geodesic domes, flying cars, and hoverboards. Today visions of the future include bombed out cities, nature reclaiming the landscape after the human population has been decimated by disease, famine, and/or war.
And if violence isn't what the parent is worried about (because that totally makes sense), it's the "adult relationships" in the story. Girls and boys kissing... or worse. Why is sexuality such a bad thing in today's culture? I suppose I get why a parent wouldn't want their kid to read some books based on their delving into sexual relationships. But I gotta wonder, did that parent let their kid read ALL of the Twilight books? I'm not going to get into the relationship issues in Twilight, but my point is that there's sex in book four. For a teen novel, quite a bit, actually. Most YA books I read have some kissing, and that's usually the extent of it.
I know what to give to a kid between the ages of 3 and 8 (picture books, Magic Treehouse, American Girl, STAR WARS ANYTHING OMG STAR WARS) and I know what to suggest to 9-12th graders. But what is it that 10-13 year olds read?

1 comment:

  1. I was in the 10-12 range when I first read Memoirs of a Geisha, I think.

    ReplyDelete