Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Monster - Walter Dean Myers


Steve Harmon likes to make films. In order to cope and keep record of his current ordeal, he writes a screenplay, and he's decided the title should be what the state prosecutor calls him: Monster.

Told through the screenplay style, as well as journal entries, the story follows Steve through his trial for murder. He's 16 years old, and accused of being an accomplice in a robbery that ended with a man shot. This is a powerful narrative that sticks with the reader. Long after I read the last line, I was repeating it in my head, pondering the same question Steve was.

Throughout the book, I noticed Steve is an unreliable narrator, which made it more interesting for me. I'm used to taking the narrator's perspective as fact, so not being able to trust Steve's narration kept me reading and questioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment